The Moika river begins its unhurried journey from the Fontanka River in a southwestern direction, skirting the following islands: 1st Admiralteisky, 2nd Admiralteisky, New Holland, and Novo-Admiralteisky.
The length of the channel is 4 km 67 m. At the widest point, the banks of the Moika diverge by 40 m. The average depth is 3 m. The river flows into the Bolshaya Neva.
Until 1711, the source of the Moika was located in a swampy lowland on the site of the modern Field of Mars. The water was muddy; it was not without reason that the river was called Mya. Its name goes back to the Inzhoro-Finnish Muya – “dirty”.
The word was difficult to pronounce, so it changed to a more understandable “Wash” and gradually replaced it.
The history of settlement on the banks of the Moika
In the VIII-IX centuries, the Eastern Slavs began to develop the Neva delta. The first settlements appeared on the banks of the river.
For several centuries, Russians and Swedes tried to establish their control over the lands included in the Neva basin. And only due to the Northern War in 1721 was the Neva River officially ceded to Russia.
Until 1763, all the bridges in the city were wooden, and only after the construction of granite embankments did stone ones begin to be built.
The Moika River has 15 bridges; they are displayed on the map of St. Petersburg:
- 1st Engineering.
- 1st Garden.
- 2nd Garden.
- Little stable.
- Bolshoy Konyushenny.
- Post Office.
If you walk along the Moika embankment from the Mikhailovsky Castle, the Engineer Bridge will be the first on the way.
Every detail glorifies the glory of Russian weapons. Once upon a time, there was a wooden Summer Bridge.
Next to the Bolshoy Konyushenny, on the left bank of the river, there were the Main Imperial Stables. It is not surprising that two bridges received such a name. It is the fourth widest in the city and adjoins the Palace Square, in fact being its continuation.
The Moika River flows in St. Petersburg, in the city center, so every corner of it breathes history.
The shores clad in granite, bridges thrown over the river, beautiful mansions along the embankment – everything surprises tourists’ imagination.
Mansion of Count Stroganov
At the corner of the Moika and Nevsky Prospekt stands Count Stroganov’s Palace, a huge pink baroque building. On Nevsky Prospekt, this is the only building that has its original appearance.
On the Moika, 94 is the Yusupov mansion, often called the encyclopedia of the St. Petersburg aristocratic interior. The building is a monument of history and architecture.
Museum-apartment of A.S. Pushkin
In house No12, there is a museum of A.S. Pushkin. The poet lived here in recent years, and from here, he went to the Black River to shoot with Dantes; the mortally wounded poet was brought here after the duel.
Of course, in one review, it is impossible to convey the whole atmosphere of the Moika fully: whether it is an architectural monument, a scroll on the railing or a river bus slowly carrying tourists.